Ramblings...

Welcome to my blog! I hope to make your visit worthwhile and reward you with some new inspirations, sewing and recycling, crafts tutorials and recipes. Please add yourself as a follower, so that you will automatically be updated when I post something new! Please comment, I appreciate sharing mutual interests, like sewing, crafting, cooking and of course eating well! I am a former Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher, I sub in 3 school systems and moonlight at a retail ladies clothing store. I also am a licensed realtor with my hubby's company, which sometimes allows me to indulge my creative energies. A wife, a mom through adoption, Christian, boomer and a member of the sandwich generation I hope to share my unique perspectives and help you with some of yours!


Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentine Casserole Cozy and my first BLOG HOP!!!


Hello, welcome to my blog, and welcome to the
Hugs and Kisses Blog Hop. 
Thank you Jane of Jane's Fabrics and Quilts for being our awesome cheerleader for the Hugs & Kisses blog hop and Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt!


 (so sorry if you stopped earlier, it was supposed to be up... it is now)
My day is February 13th, (today) please leave me a comment,  but I hope you will visit each of the following lovely blogs and comment on their Valentine projects.
Monday February 11th











Friday February 15th










Welcome to my little piece of blogland, The 4Rs, for Recycle Repurpose, Redo and Renew, and Ramblings AND for my need to blog....  The vintage White sewing machine on the left is where I do my sewing.  Bought from a friend, it replaces my 60's Elna, that I have repaired too many times to make it worth while. Been sewing since I was 9, (47 years if you want to do the math) This machine does everything simple, and I hope that I can buy something fancier some day.   I saw a blog hop advertised on one of my fav blogs for something Valentine, pink/red etc.  I have in my fabric hoard stash a yard of fanciful fabric that has been waiting for the right project.  I had planned to use it as "cheater cloth" and quilt it following the lines and shapes.  I got to use a machine quilting technique in this little project, but it is closer to my heart in that it uses my 4Rs method for making something from a thrifty find and re-creating it for something useful.  This tutorial is a simple Casserole Cozy, and the inspiration for it came from Karen at Sew Many Ways.  I took her idea of using an old placemat and make a padded sleeve to keep casseroles warm and stylish in transport.





 

The fabric, Bliss, by Bonnie and Camille Roskey, a yard piece with such prettiness, florals and geometrics, with a soft vanilla background, it was perfect  to pair with  the vintage linen placemat with cutwork.  There was a slight stain on it, but I knew it would dissapear when it was complete. 




The vintage placemat was around 11 by 17 inches, which was perfect for a glass casserole pan I have, and it was pretty and delicate, I knew I would have to back it with a solid color.  



But before I did, I also decided to cut out hearts of my patterned fabric  and back with HeatnBond, and fuse to the top. 




I then embroidered a blanket stitch around the edges, for decoration.  
Then I cut a two inch wide strap to go across the width of the cozy, and doubled it.  I cut a piece of batting as well.    Lay the batting on top of the wrong side on one side and right sides together, pin the two pieces together, stitch down both sides and turn right side out. 


Then I cut out 2 pieces of lining fabric, I used bleached muslin, the size of the placemat and 1 piece of fabric in a pretty pink that will peek through the cutwork of the placemat. I cut batting to sandwich inbetween the outside fabric and the lining fabric.


 Here my cat named Kitty (sporting a valentine type marking on it's back, I just realized) looks excited as I stitch the batting and lining layers together for the top solid and the bottom, patterned.  I trimmed the excess around the edges. and then pinned the strap on top of the linen placemat, centering it, then pinning the bottom layer, right sides together.
Here is the top and the bottom "sandwich" ready to pin right sides together. 
 I then machine quilted the patterned bottom print to its batting and lining, before assembling the pieces.  I felt it gives more stability to the bottom where most of the weight will be distributed.

Then I pinned the placemat to the top of the solid pink top and stitched around the outside edge  hoping that in stitching the two sides together, the cutwork edge would reveal itself.

 I stitched around three sides with right sides together, leaving one of the short ends open.  Turn right side out, and turned under 1/4 inch around the opening.  Because of the bulk, I only turned once, then put 3 pieces of velcro on each side, for closures.


Voila, a finished Valentine Themed cozy.  I can see making a heart warming casserole to bring to a potluck, and my cozy will warm hearts too with its' whimsy and purpose.  A great gift idea, buy your casserole dish and placemats at the thrift store, make a recipe, and give them all as part of the gift.  From the hands and heart, could there be any doubt of your love? 

 Thank you for stopping by, leave me a comment!


61 comments:

Judy Cooper Textile Images said...

Thanks for sharing. Nice idea.

Sandra said...

You just came up with the perfect gift idea for me - for a birthday present or even a Christmas present. Thanky you for sharing the being a part of the Hugs and Kisses Blog Hop. Happy Valentine's Day to you.

Sandi Timmons
sandit1@sbcglobal.net

Joyce Carter said...

Very pretty! i love your idea to repurpose items. There are a lot of beautiful pieces of vintage items that are well worth saving so it is a great idea to make something else out of them. Great job. Thank you for sharing.

Agnes B. Bullock said...

This is a great idea! Will give it a try- need some of these for the monthly KNights of Columbus potlucks!

DeAnna S. said...

Cool idea and a good use of other items. Thanks for sharing.

Quayceetatter said...

Nice vintage linen put to good use!

Needled Mom said...

What a nice way to dress up a casserole!!! Very cute.

Just Carol said...

That's a great idea to make such a useful item. Love the little hearts on it! Thanks for sharing. :O)

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

great idea!!

patchouli moon studio said...

So sweet.

Linda said...

Very nice! Great project.

Cheryl T said...

yummmm... the placemat cutwork shows perfectly. Very pretty and sweet hearts too.

Lyn said...

Very nice, Thanks for sharing! love your carrier.

The4Rs said...

Thank you, I apologize that I didn't put my post up sooner, i kept thinking my day was tomorrow, I hope my visitors from earlier today will return!!! I substitute teach and am blocked from some functions on blogger while at work. I hope to visit everyone as time permits today, bless you all!

{ HeatherK @ AReformedHeath'n } said...

Thanks for sharing! I like that idea and the white place mat you used is beautiful.

Pierro said...

Rosemary B here:
Good morning dear, well, I made it to your blog on time and your project is adorable. I love lacy stuff sooo much. This turned out lovely!
Thank you for sharing your creativity, and your olden machine. I have a Singer 316G from the 50's. It belonged to my mum.
I aspire to purchase a JukiTL 2010 this year. I just keep hinting and sighing to my hubby about it.
I am so glad you got your post up!!

carla said...

Hi!!! Great first hop!! These are always so fun!!! Love your pretty cover!!! Thank You

Katie said...

thatnks for being part of the bolg hop today

Heide said...

Very nice. Thanks for sharing how you made it. I need to make one too.

Elizabeth said...

What a delightful project! I love casserole carriers and this one is lovely with the vintage cutwork over the pink and added applique touches. Thanks for sharing!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I hopped and you are here! I love the idea behind the name of your blog! and I super love what you made. You did a wonderful job and thank you for showing us how you did it!

Lou said...

What a lovely idea!

Britt-Inger said...

Thanks for sharing your project and information of the way to it.

Gmama Jane said...

Beautiful project!
Gmama Jane

Denise Bevard said...

Neat idea, thanks for sharing

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

Great project! Turned out so pretty. Thanks for the tut!

Bobbie said...

What a great idea- and the place mat is sew pretty too! very nicely done!

Judy B said...

What a beautiful casserole carrier! I love thrift stores, never know what treasure you will find. Thank you for sharing.

LJ said...

I love the whole idea of taking vintage linens and repurposing them. Right smashing idea!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

A great idea for a Love themed potluck!

Regena said...

great tute. a great way to "hug" your food.

Amy said...

What a cute idea! Congrats on your first hop, this is my fourth and have signed up for three more! Looking forward to seeing more great ideas.

Madame Samm said...

you is here...and your project is simply delightful

Farm Quilter said...

Way cool!!! Thanks for the great tutorial!!!

krislovesfabric said...

Welcome, glad you made it to the party :) your project is wonderful, glad you shared!

Connie said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful project and I love old sewing machines too!

Linda said...

Very nice idea! Thanks for sharing your process.

Tammy said...

I am new to yoru blog. Found you via the Vakentines hop. I practice the 4 R's quiet regularly. I lov eot go thrift shoping fo rmy crafting and sewing supplies. Last week my sister and I went to our local thrift shop I bought 4 vintage bed sheets and 1 vintage pillow case that I will be useing for fabric to quilt with.conn_and_vans_mom(at)yahoo(dot)com

lefuntz said...

Great idea for those of us who also like to cook. Makes a yummy gift!

Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy said...

I love your cozy, it's beautiful, and the fabrics you chose are awesome :)
I hope you're having fun in your first hop!

Mara said...

I love the name of your blog and your purpose, what a wonderful casserole cozy.

Mimi said...

A perfect gift idea.... especially for someone who seems to have everything!! Love it - thanks for sharing!!

BizyStitches said...

to make a useful thing out of recycled items is a great thing to do. I enjoyed your blog.

Charlotte Thompson said...

Enjoyed visiting your blog. You can never have too many casserole carriers.

sandra said...

Very cutie wold love to have one, you are one smart cookie,thanks for sharing

Just Quilt It said...

What a clever project! Thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

What a cute idea, thanks for sharing it.

MoeWest said...

You found a lovely way to reuse a vintage linen placemat!

Gwen said...

Thanks for the well-done tutorial . Such a good idea to use a placemat in a casserole carrier!

Quilt n Queen said...

Thanks for the tutorial...greatjob! I've used placemats to make a sewing caddy...great idea to make the casserole carrier. Thanks for sharing! Happy stitching Pauline

Cecilia said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Jodi - usairdoll said...

WoW! What a super cute idea! Love the reusing of a placemat for the carrier. This is going on my to-do list, Thank you for a great tutorial and your photos. Great job! Thanks for sharing with us!

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Such a great idea! Love that you are able to use a placemat for the carrier. I've been wanting to make one so this is going on my to-do list. Thank you for a super tutorial and all the nice photos along the way. Awesome job! Thanks for sharing with us.

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

Frances said...

Love your idea for reusing all that wonderful fabric we find in older products.

Suze said...

What a wonderful idea! And you did a super job on the tutorial. Anyone would be thrilled to receive the casserole cosy.

Wendy said...

the vintage cloth with the cutwork is sensational, so lovley that you've used it with gorgeous fabric and a pretty design!

Nikita said...

Great tutorial! I think I can actually follow this!

Joni said...

I love picking up linen pieces at tag sales and goodwill/salvation army/mission stores. What a joy to find your blog!

evelyn said...

Cute casserole carrier. I love that you recycled. Thanks for leaving a tut. Great job.

Joanne said...

This is wonderful and thanks for sharing your process. Mmmmmm, I think I see myself making some of these for gifts. :-)

Linda J said...

What a fun way to interpret the theme plus recycle old linens and placemats. I love the fabrics you used---hard to go wrong with Bonnie and Camille fabrics!

I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

Copyright Info

Please respect the Creative Commons Licensing, and do not copy pictures or content without permission from me. Creative Commons License
http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com by The 4 Rs is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://the4rsramblings.blogspot.com.

Join the party, "Reap What You Sew, Sundays"

The4RsRamblings

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

Loading...

Etsy Storque articles: THIS HANDMADE LIFE

Stat Counter